11 Ways to Let Your Parents Know You Care
Now that you’re grown, you may have noticed that your relationship with your parents has changed. Even though you most likely don’t live with them anymore, there are always things you can do to maintain a close, positive connection.
Try these ideas to enrich your relationship with your parents:
1. Keep in close contact with your parents. Call, text, or email them regularly.
2. Spend quality time with them. Turn off the television and visit with them. Inquire about what they’re doing and keep them informed about the newest happenings in your life. Share some funny stories about work or the kids.
3. Offer to help them with things they need done. There are plenty of things that you can do to help your parents. Offer to fix something for them, paint, mow the yard, clean the house, or cook a meal. As they age, you could install grab bars to help keep them safe.
4. Treat them to lunch or dinner. You don’t have to wait for holidays or birthdays to take your parents out to eat. Make any day special with the gift of a meal at their favorite restaurant.
5. Send them a card. Get them a greeting card and write loving words in it that show how much you care.
6. Write a tribute to your parents on the internet using a social media site. Let your friends and family know how much your parents mean to you. Include a nice picture of them, too.
7. If arguments arise, remain calm. Even in the happiest of families, there can be arguments. If a discussion becomes heated, remember to take a deep breath and stay calm and collected. Give yourself a moment to think before you speak.
8. Treat them to a weekend getaway. Send them on a cruise or just away for a nice weekend. Many families decide to pitch in for this as a whole. When you all share the cost, you can treat your parents to a weekend somewhere nice.
9. Thank them for all they have done for you. Sometimes parents don’t feel that they are appreciated, so remember from time to time to show them that you appreciate them and all they do for you.
10. Bring them a beautiful plant for their garden. This is a nice gesture, especially when you plant it for them. Plant it outside a window where they can see it clearly. A rose bush or other showy plant works well for this type of gift. A plant that attracts hummingbirds or butterflies is especially nice.
11. Bake them a special cake or dessert. Food is always a nice offering for your parents. Surprise your parents with a scrumptious dessert!
Your parents are important to you, and your relationship with them can affect other areas of your life.
Try these tips to let your parents know how much you appreciate them in your life. Your relationship with them will benefit, your family’s relationship with your parents will be richer, and you’ll be demonstrating healthy relationship tips that your kids will incorporate into their own lives.