Feeling Blue at Work? Find Joy in Your Job With These Techniques
Despite what anyone tells you, it’s rare to love a job! Your work can come with its own challenges, even though it helps to sustain you throughout life. And sometimes those challenges seem to pull the joy out of you. But you can change all that!
You can get more joy out of your job and return to having a positive career. By making a conscious effort, you’ll soon start to view your job differently.
Try these strategies to find more joy at work:
1. Treat yourself for achieving goals. You probably find yourself dragging through day to day tasks. As they come up, you groan and unwillingly start to tackle them. But how different would it be if you start to treat yourself for completing tasks? Much different for sure!
* As you move through one task at a time, take a few moments of downtime for yourself. That may mean walking away from your desk or playing a few rounds of solitaire. Whatever it is, treat yourself to something you like.
* Bear in mind that it can become more of a crutch if it’s overdone. Be conscious enough to characterize tasks well. Answering a ringing phone isn’t a task!
2. Choose to be positive. Human beings are the only creatures with the power of choice. If you use that power to encourage positive thinking, your job can seem more bearable.
* Each morning, express thanks for waking up to a new day. Truly be grateful for that opportunity and recognize it as a blessing. Focus on that blessing throughout your day at work. It’s unlikely that you’ll take your job for granted.
* Each unpleasant task at work has some positive element to it. Consider the fact that each task you do gives you more work experience. Later on, you can use that experience to land the job of your dreams!
3. Focus on success. Just like many other things in life, time is best spent focusing on where you want to go. For everything you do at work, your aim is to complete it, and do it well. Try the approach of focusing on the successful end result instead of the journey.
* Consider how well your next evaluation is bound to look if you are successful in everything you do. The thought of positive recognition is enough to give you some amount of joy.
* Forget the fact that it’s not your dream job. Make it the job that you knocked out the park. Make it the stepping stone to a job more aligned with your professional desires.
4. Become a mentor. Sometimes experiencing work blues is worth it when you impart knowledge to someone else. Is there an intern at your office? Or do you know someone else in need of professional guidance? Why not become their mentor?
* Helping someone else succeed can bring you satisfaction. What you’re gaining through daily experience can make a positive change in someone else’s life. Knowing that is victory in itself!
It’s difficult to find scenarios that always work in your favor. A lot of times, you’re left doing the best with what you have. But that isn’t such a bad concept if you make an effort to find the joy in what you do.
Make today the day that you find joy in your job!